Leftovers are so very minimum in our home - we cook only what we can…
Puttu without puttu maker || Steamed Rice Cakes
Puttu unarguably is the healthiest of the breakfast for me – like ever!! Love it so much that I try to make it at least once a week. Known as a South Indian Specialty, in particular Kerala and South Tamil Nadu this dish had been a staple in our home although we are neither from Kerala and South Tamil Nadu. We are just a bunch of food loving people from the Chennai city. Mom made the puttu quite often I loved eating it for whenever it is made like not just for breakfast but for lunch and dinner also. Today’s recipe is puttu without puttu maker.
Back to the puttu without puttu maker recipe – Yes, you do not need a puttu maker[The special steamer for making rice cakes]. You can easily make them using the below methods –
- Wrap the puttu mixture[Crumbly rice flour, salt and water] in a wet towel, steam for 10 -15 minutes.
- Put the puttu mixture in a heat proof bowl and steam it.
- OR use regular stainless steel tumblers, grease the sides and bottom with some ghee, pack in the mixture and steam them. This is the closest in shape to the puttu maker . Very efficient, and single servings for every member in the family.
So the option 3 is how I make Puttu nowadays and I love it.
How to steam the puttu without puttu maker?
So, if you have puttu maker no worries – you can just dump the flour mixture in it and steam in it.
But if you do not have one, like me use any of the below options after deciding the shape and size[Tumblers, bowls or wet towel].
- Use a pressure cooker – Add a little water and put a small rack or plate – place the tumblers, bowl or the wrapped, fully covered mixture in the rack and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Use an Idli maker – Add a little water, place the idli plate and place the towel on top. Or if using the bowls or tumblers, place them directly on the water on the bottom. Use a plate or rack if needed. Steam for 10 -15 minutes.
- Welcome to my method – Use the INSTANT POT. Put the steam rack, arrange the tumblers. Close the instant pot, secure the pressure value, set the mode to STEAM and relax. Once done, wait until natural release or do a quick release.
How to serve Puttu?
Well, that depends on your taste. You like sweets, add ghee, sugar and banana. I love this way of eating puttu.
Put the steaming hot puttu in a bowl, add extra coconut if you want[I always do!!], add sugar and a banana. Mix them all together and take a bite – HEAVEN!!
If you like savory side dishes, then try any curry. Kadalai Curry[Chickpeas] is the most famous. You can check out the below recipes from my blog –
Rice Puttu recipe – Tumbler Puttu
- Idli Pot, steamer or electric pressure cooker like instant pot
- Stainless steel tumblers.
- 2 Cups 200 Grams Rice Flour Dry Roast in a pan for more flavor, optional.
- 1 Cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1-2 Crushed Cardamom Pods Optional
- 2 tbsp Ghee To grease the tumblers
To serve Puttu with – Sweet Option
To serve Puttu with – Savory Option
- Curry of your choice
- In a large mixing bowl add the rice flour, salt. Mix well.
- Add water little by little and mix with a fork or your fingers until the flour is coated, dry kind crumbly – that when you make a fist should hold the shape but crumble if you press down.
- Put the crumbly rice mixture into a sieve and pass it through. OPTIONAL STEP TO ENSURE THE PUTTU IS RIGHT TEXTURE.
- Your puttu flour mixture is ready.
- Prepare your tumblers – Take 4 large tumblers and grease them well with ghee.
- Add a teaspoon full of coconut to the tumbler, add flour mixture until half. Add another 1 or 2 teaspoons of coconut. Repeat with flour mixture until full. Top with more coconut.
- Do the above step for all the tumblers.
- Once ready, steam them for 10-15 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, invert them onto a bowl or plate.
- Serve with sugar, ghee and banana or any curry of your choice.
- Use any flour you have. Same technique. Millet flour works very well.
- Optionally roast the rice flour – enhances flavor.
- Add water only little by little until you get the crumbly dry mixture.
- Grease the tumblers to ensure to de-mould easily.
- Serve hot – Enjoy