Leftovers are so very minimum in our home – we cook only what we can consume everyday and I meticulously reheat, reuse dishes and produce and anything that cannot be consumed goes straight into freezer, or we give out to someone who needs them.
If any case cooked rice is leftover, my mom makes them into a super cool dish, very famous in Tamilnadu – The ICE BIRYANI. It’s just fermented rice – water is added to the rice and left overnight and the next morning will be served with chopped onions, yogurt and some spicy gravy as side dish.
Growing up, summer breakfasts were this fermented rice or sometimes mom also made tamarind rice with the leftover rice and served it with vadai.
When I have started cooking in our own home, like I said leftovers were very less and on the rare times I had some leftover rice, I always wanted to make something refreshing, healthy and of course delicious.
Delicious, that is where these amazing, veggies loaded tangy, spicy fritters come in. So very easy to whip up and you can add just about any vegetables to them and customize. And the resulting dish is so very fulfilling, pretty to look at and absolutely amazing that you will want to leave some extra rice for the next time and next time…
With only a handful of ingredients, all pantry staples, turn your leftover rice into a yummy snack or a breakfast dish. And it is vegan, if you don’t mind the dairy yogurt. But feel free to use any non-dairy yogurt if that is what you like and use.
And this dish, the recipe I’m showing is not gluten-free, has some whole wheatmeal in it. But you can very well use oatmeal, or any gluten-free mix you like.
Back to the vegetables, again you can use anything crunchy like cabbage, carrot, zucchini etc., I have used onions, carrots, coriander leaves.
The quantity I have mentioned in the recipe is not measured, because the leftover rice quantity is random – All you need is a sticky cookie dough kind of batter, which you can press into a hot pan when you make them. Use a little oil and cook on both sides, look out for a crispy brown edges.
These fritters need no side dishes, but you can serve with yogurt sauce, or pickle or both lie I do.
Check out the recipe below –
Rice Fritters || Leftover rice veggies fritters
- 1 cup Leftover cooked rice The rice will be soft to touch, or if from the fridge, use it directly.
- 1 cup yogurt Dairy or non dairy is fine
- As per taste Salt My cooked rice will always have salt, so just a large pinch is enough.
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Green Chilli Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Grated Carrot Use any other vegetables as you like
- 1 Large Bunch of Coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheatmeal/ Wheat flour Gluten-free flour mix will work.
- Olive to cook the fritters
- 1 cup Yogurt
- Pickle of your choice
- In a mixing bowl, add the leftover rice and yogurt and mix well. Mash a little if the rice is rough.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder . Mix well
- Add the chopped onion, chilli, coriander, grated carrots and mix well.
- Add the flour and make it sticky cookie dough like batter.
- In a hot frying pan, spray some olive oil and pour[Too thick to pour, place] the batter into fritter and cook on both sides until they are cooked through and become golden crispy.
- Serve hot with yogurt sauce or pickle.
- Substitutes are totally possible.
- Reuse your leftover rice, make them into delicious fritters and use any vegetables you like into them. If no veggies, just add onions, they will still be amazing.
- Yogurt substitutes are totally possible.
Serve hot and enjoy. Check out my instagram handle @Fhareena for more exciting posts and recipes.