A vegan dish with leftover chapati and loads of vegetable goodness to make cooking interesting…
Chilli Chapati with Leftover Chapati
Made with leftover chapati usually, the Chilli Chapati is the tastiest leftover remake dish you will ever do. They are so delicious sometimes you will want to make chapati just because you can this wonderful dish.
A cousin to the Chilli Parota, a famous street food this dish is made with whole wheat chapati. None of that unknown oil or ingredients in this homemade version. Only healthy vegetables, whole wheatmeal chapati and pantry staple spice powders – you are all set to have the hot, spicy and tangy warm breakfast or dinner.
It is a vegan dish with loads of chickpeas, onions & bell peppers; if you wish add eggs right before you add the chapati noodles. You can add pulled chicken with extra spices will be fantastic too.
Yay.. noodles. But how??
Cut the chapati into strips by rolling them – you have precooked noodles!! Yippee… So the trick is rolling the chapati like you’d a newspaper and cut into strips using a pair of scissors. That’s all.
The recipe here is a cooked version, but you can add any sauce to these chapati noodles and simple enjoy – Any pesto would do, if you ask me.
The recipe has soy sauce, feel free to use sauce you have like hot sauce, sriracha sauce etc., – will be good.
Again, the ingredients are easily switchable, so use anything you have. Just the basics like ginger garlic paste, oil and turmeric & chilli powder along with a dash of garam masala are the constants.
Check out the recipe below –
Chapati Noodles/ Chili Chapati
- 6-7 Whole wheat Chapati Cut into strips by rolling them
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper/ Capsicum Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Chickpeas Ready to use
- 1 Carrot Grated
- 1 Large Green Chilli
- 1 Bunch Fresh Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt Adjust as required
- 1/2 Lemon Juice it at end/Use bottled juice, whichever is available
- 1 Large Pinch Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- In a large pan or a wok heat oil, few onion slices and saute well
- Add the rest of the onion, chickpeas,capsicum/bell pepper, carrot, chilli and saute well
- When the added vegetables are half cooked add the spices – Garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt
- Add Soy Sauce and lemon juice and mix well
- Add a little water and cook for a minute until the sauce come together
- Add the Chapati noodles and mix well so the noodles are coated with the vegetable sauce
- Add the coriander leaves and a little lemon juice after a minute
- Serve hot with a cup of yogurt
- Add or reduce vegetables as per preference.
- Do not overcook the vegetables. You want that crunch – We love it in our home.
- Replace any vegetable for chicken or shrimps or even eggs – Add them at the stage where you add the chickpeas.
- Toss well so the noodles are fully coated with the simple vegetable sauce.
- Serve hot with yogurt.
- Spice the yogurt with a pinch of salt or garam masala if you like
Also in the blog now:
Check out my Instagram profile and highlights for more pics and recipes – @Fhareena #parveenskitchen #foodblogger