Chickpeas Stew – Slow cooked Channa masala
Another morning, breakfast schedule, ensure it is healthy and tasty and finally is it satisfying the morning hunger pangs after just having a glass of milk?? Check to all.. This Chickpeas stew is the answer to all!!
My slow cooked, or sometimes pressure cooked, and one pot channa masala or the chickpeas stew is th answer for all. Totally vegan, healthy nutrients packed, this is one super simple recipe if you have the ingredients and is totally a cracker side dish that will go with a variety of dishes.
Rice, Naan, Chapattis, Poori, Sandwiches, Tortilla, tacos and whatever not.. There have been times I have used this as a sauce for my linguini pasta dish with cheese grated in🤩
So, interested?? Scroll down for the preparation method.
Chickpeas Stew – Slow cooked Channa masalaCourse: Savoury Recipes, Slow cooked, Stews, Main, breakfast, dinnerCuisine: Indian, north indianDifficulty: Easy
Recipe of a super simple 3 steps Chickpeas stew /Channa masala, that is delicious, flavorful and absolutely addictive and perfect with Poori or roti or even rice.
Canned ready to use chickpeas or rehydrated cooked till soft chickpeas – 11/2 cups
Large Onion, sliced – 1
Small Tomato – 1
Green chilly – 1
Coriander leaves, chopped – 1/2 cup
Juice of half a lime/lemon
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste – 1tsp
Oil – 1tbsp
Water – 1 cup
Salt as required
- In a crock pot or a pressure cooker pan(if you are an impatient cook like me, yet want to taste all the goodness of the slow cooker) heat oil and sauté few slices of onions and the ginger garlic paste
- Once they are golden brown, all your other ingredients- chickpeas, rest of the onions, tomato, chilly, coriander leaves and mix well
- Add the salt, turmeric, chilly powder and coriander powder along with the lemon juice and mix well again. If you have it, add half a teaspoon of garam masala, totally optional. This will rival the smells of Delhi street food when it cooks.
- Add the water and close the lid. If using pressure cooker, cook for about 5 whistles or in a slow cooker, cook in high for about 1-2 hours
- Let the pressure cooker steam die, and open it. There you have it, the steaming hot spicy and delicious chickpeas stew. Garnish with coriander leaves..
- Slow cook in a crockpot or pressure cook in a cooker pan till they are done and the aroma of the curry waft through your house..
- Garnish with ginger to spice it up all over again😊
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.