A super simple breakfast Bread Omelette Recipe which is a sandwich of bread slices with…
Uppu Urundai Recipe || Kaara Kozhukattai
Uppu Urundai are small tempered rice dumplings made with rice, salt, a little ghee, mustard seeds, dry red chilli, coconut and curry leaves. A basic tempering of these ingredients is done and added to the rice flour[Wet Rice flour]. The flour is made into small dumpling balls and then steamed. A very famous breakfast or snack dish, you can make your wet rice flour two ways.
- Soak the rice for 3-4 hours, grind into thick smooth dough.
- Use the dry rice flour, add water and form a stiff smooth dough.
To this add the basic tempering – Heat ghee, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, lentils[Split chickpeas and black lentils], grated coconut. Add the tempered ingredients to the rice flour, add salt and mix well.
All you have to do then is to make them into balls[Urundai in Tamil] and steam them for 10-12 minutes. So So simple, a healthy gluten free snack or breakfast dish. We usually serve them with sugar. Sometimes coconut chutney.
Check out the recipe below –
Uppu Urundai || Kaara Kozhukattai Recipe
- 2 Cups Soaked Rice OR Rice Flour I use Idly Kar Rice. About 220 Grams, soaked for 3 hours and processed until smooth, thick like a stiff smooth dough.
- 3/4 Cup Water If using rice flour
- 1.2 tsp Salt Adjust as needed
To Temper the urundai maavu/Rice Flour
- 2 tsp Ghee Clarified butter. Use oil if you like
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1-2 Sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 Dried Red Chilli Cut into chunky pieces. Add more if you like more spice.
- 1 tsp Split chickpeas/ Channa Dal
- 1 tsp Black lentils/Urad Dal
- 1/2 Cup Grated Coconut Or desiccated coconut
Get the Rice Flour
- If using soak and grind method, soak the rice for at least 3 hours and grind into a dough that is stiff, smooth. If watery, cover in a dry cotton cloth and press out excess water.
- If using dry rice flour, just put the flour in a bowl, add the salt and water to make a stiff dough.
Temper the rice flour
- In a frying pan heat the ghee and add the mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the curry leaves and the red chilli pieces. Simmer and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add the lentils, coconut and cook until they are golden brown. Stir as needed. Do not burn the coconut.
Make the dumplings
- Dump the tempered ingredients with the ghee and all into the rice dough.
- Add salt as needed and mix well.
- Make the dough into small balls – a little bigger than bite size.
- Steam them in an idly pot, or steamer or instant pot for 10 -12 minutes.
- Serve hot with chutney or just sugar.
- Use dry rice flour or wet rice flour as per your convenience.
- Use oil in place of ghee if you like.
- Add chopped ginger if you in the recipe.