Most of US look forward to make and enjoy pancakes on the weekends. Not that…
Vellam Dosai||Healthy Delicious Jaggery Pancakes
Looking for a variation of pancakes that are not made of maida, not loaded with refined sugar?? You are in the right place. I have a super simple recipe of Healthy delicious jaggery pancakes.
Mostly made of leftover dosa batter, these are very common in our home growing up. You see, like a treat with the leftover ingredients.
But as I started cooking on my own I find the homemade dosa batter is a precious ingredient I cannot seem to bring it to a leftover stage. So I developed a recipe that is simple, gives the same taste and is healthy too.
Check out Amazon pantry for grocery and gourmet products – click here
How to make healthy delicious jaggery pancakes?!
This recipe is partly gluten-free. Yes, you need rice flour to make this recipe.
Partly gluten-free because the other half is whole wheat flour. Rice flour gives the crisp and body while whole wheat flour gives the pancake form and the texture. You have leftover dosa batter, use it in place of rice flour. It will give the texture the complex taste that is from the original recipe from my mom.
There are no refined sugar in this recipe. You need to have jaggery. Melt the jaggery in equal amount of water, filter the syrup. This light syrup[dark in color] is one of the wet ingredients. That’s right, we will be adding this syrup in place of milk or butter milk as we do in the regular pancakes.
Other ingredients include eggs which give the pancakes rise and acts as a raising agent. A large pinch of baking soda is also used in my recipe. But that is optional, you can skip it.
And the last important ingredient is grated or little chunks of coconut. Gives the pancakes the wonderful texture and great taste.
So all you need is to make a batter by mixing the ingredients and making the pancakes. Don’t forget or replace the ghee which is used to grease the pan and drizzled on the pancakes while cooking!! That is so important and makes all the difference.
Check out the recipe below.
Healthy delicious jaggery pancakes
- 1 Cup [110 gms] Rice Flour Use leftover Dosa batter if you have.
- 1 Cup [110 gms] Whole Wheat Flour Use AP flour if you don't have that wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Jaggery Melt in some water and filter. Cool the jaggery before using in the recipe.
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Grated or chunks
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda Optional
- Ghee to make pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except the ghee and make a batter. Add water if the batter is too thick. It should be pour-able but not too thin.
- Heat a frying pan. Slightly grease with ghee.
- Ladle the batter, one ladle spoon at time and make pancakes.
- Spread a little ghee on top and sides of the pancake and let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye on the browning. It cooks faster than regular pancakes.
- Flip and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Repeat for the rest of the batter.
- Serve hot.
- The batter should not be too thick or thin. It should be pour-able.
- Make these pancakes one by one. Even if it browns too much, do no panic, they will taste amazing.
- Use any vegetable oil or butter if you cannot find ghee.
- Serve hot.