Rasam. The essential spicy south Indian style soup, always served with hot rice in our…
Easy Aappam Recipe
Aappam is a very famous breakfast dish from Keralaand in Tamil nadu also we make them regularly. The traditional recipe has coconut, cooked rice and aval making the entire process very tedious and sometimes fermented coconut in batter is not something I like. So I have always made them using urad dal to aid in fermentation.
Also the aappam pan is important in making them, mine is cast iron.
If you wish to try aappam but want an easy recipe to make them easily, here is an easy aappam with urad dal recipe:
* 0.5 cup urad dal
* 3 cups raw rice(pacharisi)
* 0.5 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
* 1 teaspoon salt
* Water, as needed
* Baking Soda – 1/3 tsp
* Cooking oil, for greasing the aappam pan
1. Wash and Soak the urad dal, fenugreek seeds and rice in together for at least 2 hours
2. Drain the water and Grind the urad dal and rice together in a blender or food processor until smooth.
3. Add the salt to the batter and mix well.
4. Add enough water to the batter to make it a thin pourable consistency, close the bowl or box and let it ferment overnight or about 7-8 hours
5. When you are ready to make the aappam, add the Baking soda and a little water, mix well and rest the batter for about 15 minutes
6. Heat the aappam pan over medium flame
7. Grease the aappam pan with a little bit of cooking oil.
8. Pour a small amount of batter into the aappam pan for each aappam, spread with a laddle but ensure the middle has some batter so it comes out fluffy
9. Close with a lod and Cook the aappam for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown if you like
10. Repeat steps 8-9 to cook the remaining appams.
* For a fluffier aappam, ferment the batter for 6-8 hours before cooking.
* To prevent the aappam from sticking to the aappam pan, make sure the pan is hot before adding the batter.
* You can add eggs, vegetables, chopped herbs, or spices to the batter to make your aappam more flavorful.
Check out my Instagram profile and highlights for more pics and recipes – @Fhareena #parveenskitchen #foodblogger