Easy Homemade Spiced Dulce De Leche
Cinco de Mayo is here and I, from a corner if India – Chennai was invited for an Instagram Collaboration and to be honest I’m not that good with anything Mexican Food – Never had a chance to explore them.
So you can imagine my excitement on doing something sweet, traditional to make my presence in the collaboration. That’s when I thought about the Dulce De Leche – The famous Sweetened Milk caramel, which I have seen in several posts.
Getting influenced and improving one’s knowledge is all I care about in Instagram, so decided to make some Shortbread cookies and Sandwich them with the Dulce de Leche. Now we know, due to isolation and quarantine, there is no way I can look for a can of it. So decided to make my own with sweetened condensed milk well before the collaboration post day – So I can perfect my technique of making quick and easy Dulce De Leche in Microwave.
Again, there are several ways to make this delicious sweet sauce like slow cooking, bake for hours. ME, being me sometimes[Read that always] look for easier ways so I can save time and hence adopted the microwave method. All you need is 18-20 minutes.
Trust me the first time was a success and the second time too, which is when I decided I had to step up and spice things up – Literally, by adding Cayenne and Vanilla powder. Here we have the results, the so creamy, caramel and spiced DULCE DE LECHE.
All you need are 4 ingredients for this spicy Dulce De Leche and a large microwave safe glass bowl. Large bowl because, for the first few minutes in the microwave the condensed milk will come to the top and may boil over if you missed it. So be very carefully keep an eye on the bowl inside and stop microwaving if it seems to be boiling over – but only for the first few mins.
I used the store bought sweetened condensed milk and the volume will remain the same so if you are adding one cup of condensed milk, you will get 1 cup of Dulce De Leche.
While in microwave the condensed milk will start getting thicker that is when you need to start adding milk little by little whisking well to ensure no lumps of caramel is found and the sauce is smooth.
Use them for your cookie sandwiches, swirl some in the brownies – heck, have it by spoonfuls!!
Without any more back stories or introductions, let’s jump into the recipe.
Homemade Spiced Dulce De Leche – Microwave method
- A large Microwave Bowl
- 75 Gms Sweetened Condensed milk I used a full can of it, which was 75 gms.
- 3/4 cup Warm Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder
- Empty the can of Condensed milk in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Set the microwave in medium power and time for 2 minutes. Keep an eye on the microwave as the condensed milk may boil over.
- Stir once and keep cooking for 2 more times, 2 minutes each.
- Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the condensed milk will start getting thicker to stir, add some of the milk and loosen the condensed milk. Put it back in the microwave and keep cooking in 1 minute interval.
- Add milk only if so thick and mix well and cook until the milk mixture attains the caramel brown color, and shiny.
- Let it cool and store in a clean jar until you want to use.
- Enjoy with cakes, cookies, ice cream and all the things you like this spiced Dulce De Leche with.
- For the first few minutes, be very watchful and ensure the milk doesn’t boil over. If it comes to a full boil, stop and stir once and put it back in the microwave.
- The mixture will be very hot, so be careful and use heat resistant gloves or oven mitts.
- Add any spice you like in the mix – Cinnamon, nutmeg will all taste good and warm.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.