Delicious French Toast/Eggy Bread
Making breakfast need not be a chore and the results of your simple effort will be considered magnificent by your family and the friends, if it is right.
French toast is one of the most common breakfasts available across the world. They are as simple as delicious and with the toppings they can be made luxurious as well. Perfect for holiday breakfasts or brunches, or just breakfast in bed.
Another good thing, you can use any bread you have – loaf, artisan, multi grain, old and stale! Why no fresh bread, dipping the fresh slices will break them into egg mixture, so older bread is a good choice. Helps you get rid of the old bread in style, delicious.
The toast recipe requires the most basic of the ingredients, all pantry staples. Eggs, milk, some flavoring like vanilla, cinnamon etc., You can also use nutmeg, dry ginger powder, orange or lemon zest and make them surprisingly warm with a spice hit that you love.
While the toast ingredients are basic, the toppings are a different story. You can bring in anything sweet, gooey and fresh as topping here and the list is almost infinite. Chocolate, ice cream, whipped cream, sliced fruits, caramelized fruits, roasted fruits, honey, maple syrup, powdered sugar and a lot more……
But never forget, the topping must be sweet making it all so special and nice. But with all the sweetness in the topping one should not feel sick with overly sweet toppings. This is where the secret ingredient comes into the picture.
Yeah, a large pinch of salt in the egg mixture in which you’ll dip the bread slices is the key to counter the sweetness in the toppings.
And you need old old butter to fry the toast, keeping it all authentic I’d say. If you like replace the butter with any oil you like. But nothing beats the butter’s taste when you are making french toast!! So USE BUTTER.
Check out the recipe for my simple French toast with sliced Mango and honey topping. But like I told above, no restrictions on how you eat them. Feel free to use the richest of the bread like Challah or brioche for the best taste and experience.
Delicious French Toast /Eggy Bread
- 10 Slices Of bread of your choice Sliced loaf of challah, brioche or even plain wheat or white bread will be nice.
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter Replace with oil of choice
For the Egg Mixture
- 2 Large Eggs
- 250 ml Milk Very Warm or cold, no hot milk.
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon Use nutmeg, ground ginger, orange or lemon as you wish
- 1/4 tsp Salt The secret ingredient.
- Fresh sliced mango
- Honey to drizzle
- Icing Sugar/Powdered Sugar
- Ice cream
- Caramelized fruits
- In a large mixing bowl[See note.], add all the ingredients given in the egg mixture group and whisk well.
- Heat a pan and melt butter in it.
- While you are melting the butter, dip the bread slices one by one in the egg mixture just before you are going to fry them. Note – Do it one by one, no over dipping so the bread falls into the mixture in pieces or no under dipping so the bread is DRY!!! NO NO..
- Using a large flat spatula, pickup the bread and fry in the pan – 2-3 minutes in one side. Flip and cook the other side for another minute until golden in color.
- Dust the toast with icing sugar, add fruits and drizzle with honey.
- Use butter for the better taste
- Do not forget the salt
- While dipping, do it one by one, no over dipping so the bread falls into the mixture in pieces or no under dipping so the bread is DRY!!! NO NO..
- Careful not to break the bread while you flip. Wait until the bottom is completely cooked and brown in color before you flip.
- Don’t forget the powdered sugar – just for the fun of it.
- If by chance, the dipped bread breaks no worries- fry them in pieces[look at the picture in the post, yet] and serve them with more fruits – plain awesome, it is all same!!
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.