Sweet Ragi Roti.. finger millet is a very common ingredient in our home and whenever…
Ragi Phulka Recipe
Wholesome Goodness on a Plate: Ragi Phulka Recipe.
Ragi, also known as finger millet, is a powerhouse of nutrition and has been a staple in Indian households for generations. Packed with essential nutrients, this humble grain offers numerous health benefits. One delicious way to incorporate ragi into your diet is by making ragi phulkas, a nutritious and wholesome alternative to traditional wheat-based rotis. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of preparing soft and nutritious ragi phulkas that are not only good for your health but also a treat for your taste buds.
– 1 cup ragi flour
– 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (optional for a softer texture)
– Water (for kneading the dough)
– Salt (to taste)
– 1 teaspoon oil (for the dough)
– Ghee (for serving)
1. **Mixing the Flours:**
– In a mixing bowl, combine the ragi flour and whole wheat flour (if using).
– Add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
– Add a teaspoon of oil to the dry ingredients.
2. **Kneading the Dough:**
– Gradually add water and knead the flour mixture into a smooth and pliable dough.
– The dough should be soft but not sticky. Adjust the water quantity as needed.
3. **Dividing the Dough:**
– Divide the dough into equal-sized portions. This will depend on how big you want your ragi phulkas to be.
4. **Rolling the Phulkas:**
– Take one portion of the dough and roll it between your palms to form a small ball.
– Flatten the ball slightly and then use a rolling pin to roll it out into a thin, round phulka.
– Make sure the phulka is evenly rolled to ensure even cooking.
5. **Cooking the Ragi Phulkas:**
– Heat a tava or flat pan over medium-high heat.
– Place the rolled phulka on the hot tava.
– When you start to see small bubbles on the surface of the phulka, flip it over.
– Cook until both sides have light brown spots, and the phulka puffs up.
– You can also press the phulka gently with a cloth or spatula to help it puff up.
6. **Serve Hot:**
– Remove the ragi phulka from the tava and serve it hot.
– Drizzle a small amount of ghee over the phulka for a delightful flavor and aroma.
– You can serve it with your favorite curry, dal, or chutney.
Benefits of Ragi Phulkas:
– **High in Nutrition:** Ragi is a rich source of calcium, iron, and fiber, making ragi phulkas an excellent choice for those looking to increase their nutrient intake.
– **Gluten-Free:** Ragi is naturally gluten-free, making it a fantastic option for individuals with gluten sensitivities.
– **Weight Management:** Ragi is low in calories and high in fiber, helping you feel full for longer and aiding in weight management.
– **Diabetic-Friendly:** Ragi has a low glycemic index, making it a suitable choice for those with diabetes.
– **Digestive Health:** The fiber in ragi promotes healthy digestion and helps prevent constipation.
– **Tasty and Versatile:** Ragi phulkas have a unique earthy flavor that pairs well with a variety of curries and side dishes.
Ragi phulkas are a wholesome and nutritious addition to your meal that brings a burst of flavors and health benefits to your plate. Try this simple recipe at home and enjoy the goodness of ragi while savoring the taste of these soft and delicious phulkas, enhanced by the teaspoon of oil in the dough and the delectable ghee drizzle. Whether you’re health-conscious or simply a food enthusiast, ragi phulkas are a delightful choice you won’t want to miss!