Rasam. The essential spicy south Indian style soup, always served with hot rice in our…
Authentic South Indian Pulikachal Mix Recipe: A Burst of Tangy Spices
Pulikachal, a quintessential South Indian delicacy, is known for its explosive blend of tangy and spicy flavors. This versatile mix is a life-saver for busy days when you want to whip up a quick and delicious meal. In this blog post, we will walk you through a simple and authentic Pulikachal mix recipe, so you can enjoy the taste of South India right in your own kitchen.
1. 1 cup tamarind extract (from a lemon-sized tamarind ball)
2. 1/4 cup sesame oil
3. 1/2 cup peanuts
4. 2 tablespoons chana dal (split chickpeas)
5. 2 tablespoons urad dal (black gram lentils)
6. 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
7. 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
8. 10-12 dried red chilies
9. 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
10. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
11. Curry leaves
12. Salt to taste
1. Heat the sesame oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, chana dal, urad dal, dried red chilies, and peanuts. Sauté until they turn golden brown.
2. Add curry leaves and asafoetida, and continue to sauté for another minute.
3. Pour in the tamarind extract and cook it over medium heat until the mixture thickens and the oil starts to separate. Stir occasionally.
4. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
5. Let the Pulikachal mix cool down, and then store it in an airtight container. It can be kept at room temperature for weeks.
Ways to Enjoy Pulikachal:
1. Pulikachal Rice: Mix the Pulikachal with freshly cooked rice for a zesty and satisfying meal. You can also add some roasted cashews or peanuts for extra crunch.
2. Pulikachal Tamarind Rice: This is a popular preparation where you mix the Pulikachal with rice and serve it with a side of papad or potato chips.
3. Pulikachal as a Condiment: It’s a fantastic accompaniment to dosas, idlis, or even curd rice. Just a small spoonful of this mix can transform an ordinary meal into an extraordinary one.
Pulikachal mix is a wonderful addition to your culinary repertoire, bringing the rich and vibrant flavors of South India to your kitchen. With a jar of this mix handy, you can effortlessly elevate your meals. Whether you choose to make Pulikachal rice, tamarind rice, or simply use it as a condiment, you’re in for a delightful gastronomic experience. So, go ahead and give this authentic Pulikachal mix recipe a try, and relish the taste of South India in the comfort of your home.
Check out my Instagram profile and highlights for more pics and recipes – @Fhareena #parveenskitchen #foodblogger