Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
Honestly, I have started writing in this food blog only after the pandemic situation is world wide and we are all stuck home. Sitting in home and doing office work, cooking, taking photographs are the most work I’m doing. There are no shopping[All done by hubby] outings, grocery take outs. So I had to make a lot of homemade stuff – homemade nutella, homemade mayonnaise, sauces etc., This today is my trusted, fool proof recipe of the easy homemade pizza sauce.
Ingredients to make the easy homemade pizza sauce
The recipe is so simple – you need tomato puree. This is the base of the sauce. I simply cut fresh tomatoes and blend then in a processor until smooth. Strain in a big holed strainer if needed to take out the skin and seeds, that got missed in the blending.
You make Italian food, you sure be stocking some garlic!! This sauce is garlicky as well. For every tomato I added, I added a clove of medium sized garlic. 5 tomatoes = 5 crushed garlic cloves!
Check out the video here:
And let’s not forget the Olive Oil – I used the pomace oil since there is going to be cooking involved and I didn’t want to use the extra virgin olive oil. The olive oil in the sauce gives the distinct flavor to the sauce.
The rest is simple – Use any Italian spice you have. Dried basil, dried oregano and so on. OR SIMPLY USE THAT SACHET OF THE PIZZA SEASONING that comes with the pizza delivery!! SO GOOD.
DO NOT USE fresh herbs though – the sauce may go bad if you are planning to store it for sometime.
Check out the recipe below –
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Blender, Mixer or a food processor to puree the tomatoes, large holed strainer if needed and a sauce pan.
- 8 Large Tomatoes Puree them in a blender. Strain if needed.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 7-8 Cloves Peeled Garlic Crushed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp Seasoning mix Dried Italian herbs or pizza seasoning from stores
- Puree the tomatoes and strain if needed. We need it pulpy, not juicy. Use big holed strainer.
- In a sauce pan heat the olive oil and add the crushed garlic and fry for a minute. When you see it changing color, add the tomato puree.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salt and ground pepper.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the herbs and the pizza seasoning if using and mix well.
- Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Easy homemade pizza sauce is ready. Store it in a glass jar. Close the jar only when the sauce is completely cooled.
- Enjoy with your homemade pizza and pasta.
- Use fresh herbs if you have them – but the shelf life will be very less.
- You can store this pizza sauce in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.