This recipe is warm, salty, buttery soft, sweet and fruity - everything you would want…
Triple Coconut Scones/Biscuits
This recipe is warm, salty, buttery soft, sweet and just so perfect coconut – everything you would want in comfort food. The triple coconut scones are the perfect treat for breakfast with jam. As the name suggests the dish has coconut in three forms.
These biscuits have coconut in three forms –
- Coconut Sugar that gives the wonderfully mild sweetness to the dish.
- Coconut Milk that gives the crumbly rich softness to the biscuits.
- Shredded Coconut that goes on top of the biscuits which turn golden and crunchy giving the dish an elevated texture and taste.
Intrigued yet?? Read on..
The dish is so yummy and super delicious we at our home eat them without ice cream or any cream. Just perfect and rich just the way it is. But serve with cream or ice cream if you like.
Major ingredients of the triple coconut scones/Biscuits –
Coconut in three forms is the major ingredient.
I used coconut sugar, coconut milk and shredded coconut.
Although I used butter for the biscuits because I love them in the biscuits. But you can use coconut butter or coconut oil if you like the biscuits that way making the dish completely vegan.
How to make the these biscuits
For the biscuits, combine the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt and mix. Rub the cold cubed butter into the flour until the butter is of the size of little peas and crumbly. Add the coconut milk, a tablespoon at a time and mix just until the dough come together. DO NOT OVERWORK.
Pat the dough into a rectangle and cut into 4 equal parts. Stack them on top of each other and pat them down back into a stacked rectangle. This is a wonderful tip I learnt watching halfbakedharvest.com recipes from Tieghan. This gives your biscuits all the buttery layers you need and I am not going to just roll and cut hereafter!!
Check out my instant pot recipes. If you are looking to buy an instant pot, Check out in Amazon: Instant Pot Duo
Roll the dough softly with flour dusted on the surface into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Cut the shape you want, I just want cut them into squares. No re-rolling and waste.
Arrange the biscuits on the baking tray, brush them with leftover coconut milk and sprinkle on the shredded coconut. Bake and enjoy.
Check out the recipe below –
Triple Coconut Scones/Biscuits
- Food Processor – Optional
- 180 Grams[1 1/2 cups] All Purpose Flour
- 90 Grams[3/4 Cup] Cold cubed Unsalted Butter Freeze for a few minutes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk Will need only a 3-4 tbsp. Use the rest to brush on top of the biscuits
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated or grated Coconut
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius
- In a food processor or a large mixing bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the cold butter cubes and sub/process just until the butter is of the size of small peas and the flour is slightly crumbly.
- Add two tablespoon of coconut milk and mix, add a little more if needed and bring together the dough. DO NOT OVERWORK.
- You need a dough that you can simply hold in hand and it holds the shape.
- Put the dough in a work surface. Pat into a large rectangle. Cut into 4 pieces and stack one on top of each other. Pat again into a rectangle of 1 inch height.
- Cut into rectangles or squares or even with any shape cutter.
- Place them on a baking tray with at least 1 inch space around.
- Brush the top with coconut milk.
- Sprinkle the coconut flakes or desiccated coconut.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the coconut looks toasted and the biscuits are risen.
- Biscuits or scones are both correct – Call them as you like.
- Replace butter with cold coconut oil or coconut butter.
- Bake in air fryer, for 15 minutes if you don’t have oven or want a quicker version.
- Serve warm with cream and jam. We served only with jam.