Crispy Spicy Potato Roast
What does one look forward to when they go to an Indian wedding or a vegetarian lunch/dinner? Sweets, varieties of food??!! Of course yes and me, I also look forward to see how the potato are served. Some are curry like, some like chips, and sometimes roasted. I love me some crispy spicy potato roast, anytime and always. There is no person I know who doesn’t love a potato dish and I’m sure roasted potatoes top them all the times.
How to make crispy spicy potato roast?!
This recipe for potato roast is so simple – it is soft inside, has crispy edges outside, spiced perfectly and roasted to perfection using a cast iron pan. You can bake or air fry if you like. But my today’s version is authentic, stove top fried in an iron pan and has the more authentic traditional masala which is the BISI BELE BATH MASALA.
This use of spice blend was an inspired choice. Yeah, inspired by one of the posts by an instagram influencer @CookandClick. A very talented young lady who posts traditional Indian cooking, eggless baking and vegan platters. Love them all..
In one of her posts I saw potato roast and she had mentioned Sambar Podi/powder as one of the ingredients. I was so curious, you see. Because how come.. !! I asked her.. and she gave a very simple answer that the use of sambar podi saves her from opening a lot other spice boxes!!
Well, I know life is all about inspiring others and getting inspired by others. So the inspired me tried this potato roast as per instructions and LOVED the roast potatoes. Also the curious me wanted to bring my own twist and do more to it.. You see the use of sambar podi opened the door a lot of other podi!!
There came the idea of the BISI BELE BATH SPICE powder mix. Click here to find the bisi bele bath masala powder recipe I follow
Sometime I make it at home, most times I buy a very good quality organic masala powder from Amazon – link below.
So you see, this spice mix has all the ingredients from lentils to spices to seeds to coconut!! I especially love the coconut in this spice mix which exactly is why I use this spice powder.
So without delays, check out my recipe of this wonderfully spicy roasted potatoes.
Crispy Spicy Potato Roast
- Cast Iron Pan – Optional
- 4 Large Potatoes Peeled, cubed and par boiled
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Any Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 tsp Salt Adjust as needed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Bisi bele bath Masala Or Sambar Podi
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Curry Leaves Optional
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes of 1-1 1/2 inch size. Boil/steam them until 3/4th cooked. They should be fluffy, not too much mushy. About 10 minutes on stove top.
- In a cast iron pan add the oil and the parboiled potatoes. No need to wait for the pan to heat with oil. Helps reduce oil splatters.
- Roast for a few minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and bisi bele bath masala powder. Mix well and continue cooking.
- Mix every minute to avoid the potatoes sticking to the bottom. But do no over mix and break the potatoes.
- After 2-3 minutes in the hot pan cooking, add the fresh curry leaves and mix well. Let the potatoes cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with curd rice or sambar rice or with roti.
- No need to wait for the pan to heat with oil. Add the potatoes right way. Helps reduce oil splatters.
- Use any vegetable oil you have.
- Use coriander leaves for garnish – optional.