Olive Oil Mandarin Orange Cake
Local produce is everywhere and wherever in the limited shops open there are no imported Oranges but the sweet and juicy Mandarin Oranges.
These Oranges are sweet, Pulpy and so good, we have been eating them just like how they are- juicy and perfect. But we need a way to make them into a delicious cake that will sing the Orange-y juicy notes, yes??
That’s where this one bowl Olive Oil Mandarin Orange Cake comes in.
The Cake has Mandarin Orange Zest, Juice and a Mandarin Orange syrup, in which the cake is soaked – SO GOOD! Every mouthful will be a flavor burst!
Made with Olive Oil, this could really be Mediterranean special cake, you know with the use syrup and all!!
Olive Oil is so good for making citrus cakes!
The recipe has eggs, but replace with egg substitutes if you like. Sour cream or yogurt are good options.
Other than the Mandarin oranges, the cake calls for basic pantry staples. If you cannot find Mandarin oranges, feel free to use Lemons, any variety of Oranges or limes. The Cake can easily be customized.
Did I mention, it is an One Bowl recipe? You need no mixer, no creaming the fat and the sugar – nothing at all! Check out the recipe below –
Olive Oil Mandarin Orange Cake with Mandarin Syrup
- 1 Cup Olive Oil About 100 ml
- 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar Use 1 cup of regular/caster sugar if not available
- 2 Large Eggs Substitute with 3/4 cup of yogurt if making it egg-less
- 2 tbsp Mandarin Orange zest Grate the outer skin only, no white pith
- 1/2 Cup Mandarin Orange Juice Roughly the juice of 2 Mandarin Oranges
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour AP, Gluten -free mix will work
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
To make the Mandarin Orange Syrup
- 1 Cup Mandarin Orange Juice About 4 Oranges
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
To Serve – Optional
- 1 Cup Thick Yogurt or Whipped Cream
- 1 tbsp Zest of Orange
- In a large bowl add the olive oil, sugars[Brown too, if using] and mix well.
- Add the eggs, the mandarin orange zest and the juice. Combine them all.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter to a prepared, lined and greased 9 inch round pan.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35-45 minutes.
- Once baked, let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes while you make the syrup, then invert to a plate or stand, so the flat bottom is at the top.
Make the syrup
- In a sauce pan, add the Mandarin Orange juice and the sugar.
- Heat in medium flame for 10 minutes, until the syrup slightly thickens and is bubbly.
Soaking the cake
- Pour the syrup on the cake slowly until the cake is fully covered.
- Leave it soak for at least an hour.
Serve – Optional
- Slice the cake into wedges.
- Add a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream.
- Add some Mandarin Zest, optionally.
- Enjoy 🙂
- Brown sugar is optional. Use 1 cup of Caster Sugar only, if no brown sugar.
- Use lemons, limes, oranges in the same recipe – all will be good.
- Use Olive oil for maximum flavor.
- If planning to make it egg-less, use a cup of yogurt as a substitute.
- Syrup should not be too thick neither too runny. If should be sticky, and free flowing.
- Serve with yogurt instead of whipped cream, it will be perfect.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.