A super simple, delicious and wholesome homemade biryani recipe using instant pot or your electric…
Instant Pot Sweet Rice Pudding
Getting the instant pot bought and delivered to our home during this quarantine is one of the best ideas and purchases we have in the last weeks. Watch out for more instant pot recipes in the blog soon..
Today’s recipe of the Sweet Rice Pudding is a favorite, even before I got the instant pot. A little messy in the making, you know, with a stove top pressure cooker or a microwave the milk will boil and spill constantly so I have to work on low flame and it will take at an hour and a half to cook to the consistency that is creamy and delicious. Let’s not forget the stirring, so it doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan.
What if you can get the same taste and a better consistency without all the hassle of spilled milk, lesser time and totally no stirring but only perfect result all the time?
Want to know how? Read on the notes, instructions of my easiest RICE PUDDING recipe.
The total time for the recipe from start to serve time is less than half hour!! Surprised? Totally yes, if you have the instant pot. All you need is to keep the ingredients ready which are all pantry staples. Saute some, add some, set rice mode. Let the instant pot do all the work.
Put your feet up and relax!! 20 minutes later[Quick release] or so much later with a natural release finished, open the instant pot to reveal the super fragrant, creamy[Read the creamiest] rice pudding you have ever done.
PERFECTION, it totally is.
All you need are basmati rice[Glutinous rice can also be used, but I love the fragrance from the basmati rice], milk, condensed milk, sugar, ghee/clarified butter, raisins and some nuts. To flavor the pudding use nutmeg, cinnamon or cardamom. I used Cardamom in the pic here. Every mouthful is divine with the warmth and comfort you get only with a traditional dish like this, but made just so easily.
Cook this dish to impress your family and none of that you cannot cook excuse when it comes to making a rice pudding anymore, using an instant pot. Is there?
Check out the recipe below –
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Instant Pot
- Wooden ladle
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice Replace basmati with with any rice variety. Wash and keep ready.
- 2 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 Cups Whole milk Non-dairy, use almond milk for better taste.
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 Cup Cashews and Raisins
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg A large Sprinkle is enough. But adjust as per taste.
- 4-5 Whole Green Cardamom pods Replace if only ground spice is available.
- Switch on the instant pot
- Set Saute mode
- Add the ghee or the clarified butter in the inner pot. Add the whole green cardamom if using once the ghee is hot
- Add the cashews and raisins. Roast them in ghee until lightly brown
- Add the washed rice and stir well until the rice is well coated with the ghee
- Add the salt, sugar, condensed milk, 2 cups of milk and all the water as given in the ingredients list
- Give it all a nice stir. All the above steps should be done in saute mode, will take less than 2 minutes
- Cancel saute mode
- Close the lid, set the rice mode and seal the steam release handle
- Relax until the instant pot finishes the rice mode – about 12 minutes plus the preheat time
- Wait for 4-5 minutes and do a quick release by turning the steam release handle to venting
- Perfect, steamy and delicious, not too sweet rice pudding is ready
- Sprinkle some ground nutmeg or cinnamon and serve warm
- Sprinkle some extra sugar on top if needed
- This recipe timing is for instant pot. If making on stove top, adjust time as needed.
- Use full fat milk, so you get the natural taste. But if non-dairy, use almond milk for better taste.
- Raisins are optional, but gives great texture and taste.
- Use whole green cardamom pods, for the subtle spice flavor.
- Do not use a lot of ground nutmeg.
- Use any spice or ground spice you have to flavor.