Instant Pot Prawn Biryani
Prawns are the most favorite seafood in our home. Our seafood picks are very limited – we buy only prawns and fish. Nothing else, no crabs or squids etc.,!! Just prawns and fish.
But we make a variety of dishes with them – curries, stews, thokku(stir fry) , grilled fish or prawns or a simple fry with a spicy masala. Lot more and Biryani too..
We make prawn biryani in our home because it is simple to make!! IF you are wondering what’s simple about making biryani at home, check out my recipe.
This recipe is simple, quick and mostly automatic thanks to the instant pot.
Like to check out the instant pot I have??
I have a similar vegetable biryani recipe also in the blog – check that if you are vegan.
So back to making instant pot biryani -yes, making biryani does involve loads of preparation like slicing, chopping, cleaning herbs etc., but the end result will be worth it. Which is why you must try this recipe.
Instant Pot Prawn Biryani
- Instant Pot – Electric Pressure Cooker
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Peel and grind the garlic and ginger into a fine paste.
- 150 Grams Prawns Peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Use any Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp Whole Spices Cinnamon Bark, cloves and a bay leaf
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- 1 Small Tomato Cut into pieces
- 3 Whole Green Chilli No need to cut or slit.
- 3-4 Sprigs Coriander Leaves Cleaned and chopped
- 3-4 Sprigs Fresh Mint Cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced Or Use 1 tsp of bottled juice
- 1 tbsp Thick Yogurt
- 1 tsp Salt Adjust as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/4 Cup Basmati rice Washed and drained. Use Regular Rice if you like.
- 1 3/4 Cups Water If using regular rice add only 2 1/2 cups of water
- Switch On your instant pot, and set SAUTE mode.
- Add oil, whole spices and wait until they heat up.
- Add few slices of onion and add the ginger garlic paste. Saute well.
- Once the ginger garlic paste is cooked, slightly browned add the rest of the onions, tomato, green chilli, and all the cleaned PRAWNS. Cook for a few minutes, say 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves. Saute for half a minute.
- Add the salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add the lemon juice and yogurt. Mix well.
- Add the cleaned rice and mix.
- Add the water [See note for the rice type]
- Cancel the Saute mode.
- Close the instant pot lid. Seal the pressure valve.
- Set the RICE mode and relax!!
- Once the timer is off in the instant pot, quick or natural release as per your wish.
- Open the lid after venting the pressure completely and give the rice a quick mix.
- Server hot with raita
- Use any rice you have – For 1 cup rice you will need 2 cups of water in general. If using basmati rice, for 1 cup rice add only 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Use the same recipe for vegetables or chicken biryani.
- Follow the instant pot method and guidelines properly.
- Serve hot although the biryani will stay warm for a long time in the instant pot
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.