Instant Pot Vegetable Biryani
If you are someone who thinks Biryani is better eaten in restaurants because of the work involved in making it at home – Think again and check my recipe of vegetable biryani.
Making Biryani for most of us is a chore. you know , the prep work of getting the numerous ingredients, cutting the vegetables, special spice blends and so on.. Don’t panic, this Vegetable Biryani recipe is so easy, no special spices except what you have in pantry, and so easily made in INSTANT POT!!
Literally all the work is done in your instant pot or an electric pressure cooker, but still not overcooked rice or any disasters you may have faced previously.
All you need to do is gather the ingredients, do some preparation[Remember, no pain no gain!!] and put them all in the instant pot. Do some saute and close the lid, put it on the rice mode to cook and relax. Simple.
You do not have to worry about the rice consistency of the biryani, no worries about the rice getting mushy – all thanks to the super instant pot. Perfectly cooked rice every time!! I should probably write review for my instant pot! Love it a lot..
Back to the biryani preparation – you do need to do some work in that department.
Get the ginger and garlic peeled and ground to a paste, slice and chop the vegetables, clean and chop the mint and coriander leaves, juice a lemon, pull out the spice box etc.,
But it is all ten mins work, and the cooking time is anywhere between 12-19 minutes most of which doesn’t need constant monitoring – again thanks to the Instant pot or your electric Pressure Cooker.
Also, this recipe of vegetable biryani can be used for prawn or shrimp biryani or even chicken biryani. Check the notes in the recipe.
All sounds easy ? Check out the recipe –
Instant Pot Vegetable Biryani
- Instant Pot – Electric Pressure Cooker
Ginger Garlic Paste – Prep ahead
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Peel and grind the garlic and ginger into a fine paste.
Vegetables – Prep Ahead
- 1 Carrot Peel and chop
- 1/2 Beetroot Peel and chop
- 12-15 French Beans – Green Beans Trim the ends and chop
- 1 Large Potato Peel and cube
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Green Peas Or Soaked dry peas
- 1/2 Cup Paneer Optional – I didn’t use
Vegetable Biryani – Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Use any Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp Whole Spices Cinnamon Bark, cloves and a bay leaf
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste From prep ahead
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- 1 small Tomato Cut into pieces
- 3 whole Green Chilli No need to cut or slit.
- 3-4 Sprigs Coriander Leaves Cleaned and chopped
- 3-4 Sprigs Fresh Mint Cleaned and chopped
- All Chopped Vegetables From prep ahead
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced. Or Use 1 tsp of bottled juice
- 1 tbsp Thick Yogurt
- 1 tsp Salt Adjust as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/4 Cup Regular or Basmati rice – 250 grams Washed and drained
- 2 1/2 Cups Water If using Basmati rice, add only 1 3/4 cups of water
- Raita/ Spiced mixed vegetable Yogurt
- Make the Ginger garlic paste.
- Clean, peel and chop the vegetables.
- Switch On your instant pot, and set SAUTE mode.
- Add oil, whole spices and wait until they heat up.
- Add few slices of onion and add the ginger garlic paste. Saute well.
- Once the ginger garlic paste is cooked, slightly browned add the rest of the onions, tomato, green chilli, and all the prepared vegetables. Cook for a few minutes, say 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves. Saute for half a minute.
- Add the salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Mix well into the vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice and yogurt. Mix well.
- Add the cleaned rice and mix.
- Add the water [See note for the types of rice like Basmati]
- Cancel the Saute mode.
- Close the instant pot lid. Seal the pressure valve.
- Set the rice mode and relax!!
- Once the timer is off in the instant pot, quick or natural release as per your wish.
- Open the lid after venting the pressure completely and give the rice a quick mix.
- Server hot with raita.
- Use any rice you have – For 1 cup rice you will need 2 cups of water in general. But if using basmati rice, for 1 cup rice add only 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Replace the vegetables group of ingredients with Prawns for Prawn Biryani.
- Replace the vegetables group with chicken for chicken biryani.
- Follow the instant pot method and guidelines properly.
- Serve hot although the biryani will stay warm for a long time in the instant pot.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.