A super simple, delicious and wholesome homemade biryani recipe using instant pot or your electric…
Simple Instant Pot Chicken Biryani
Chicken biryani is always special. No matter you make vegetable Biryani often or make any other biryani like paneer, prawn or even mushroom nothing comes close to the aroma and taste of this Simple Instant pot of Chicken biryani.
Making biryani at home is simpler than you think and you can eat to your heart’s content without worrying about the quantity.
Good thing about making biryani at home, you know what the ingredients are exactly. No additives, preservatives or questionable ingredients in my simple instant pot chicken biryani.
Yes, we are going to make biryani in instant pot. I know by now you all know my love for cooking anything in the instant pot!! If interested check out my instant pot recipes here.
Back to this instant pot biryani, you need three modes. SAUTE, CHICKEN AND PRESSURE COOK. Yes, to saute the ingredients, cook the chicken and then finally bring together all the ingredients along with the rice the pressure cooker mode.
The reason why we are not using RICE mode is because of the use of basmati rice. A cook time of 5 minutes in the instant pot is sufficient for basmati rice.
You can use regular pressure cooker also for this recipe. Cook the chicken and the masala ingredients for 2 whistles and then add the rice and cook 1 whistle. Let the steam vent naturally.
Major steps in making Simple Instant Pot chicken biryani
You need ginger garlic paste. Peel and grind garlic cloves and ginger.
You need to saute and saute the chicken until it is at least 25% cooked before you add the spices.
Add chopped mint and coriander leaves instead of adding full leaves.
Add little amount of whole spices like cinnamon bark and cloves. Never add cardamom in biryani recipes. IT will change the taste.
Check out the recipe below –
Instant Pot Chicken Biryani
- Instant Pot – Electric Pressure Cooker
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Peel and grind the garlic and ginger into a fine paste.
- 250 Grams Chicken Cleaned and washed several times
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Use any Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp Whole Spices Cinnamon Bark, cloves and a bay leaf
- 1 Large Onions Sliced
- 1 Small Tomato Cut into pieces
- 3 Whole Green Chili No need to cut or slit.
- 4-5 Sprigs Coriander leaves Cleaned and chopped
- 4-5 Sprigs Fresh Mint Leaves Cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- 1 tbsp Thick Yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt Adjust as needed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/4 Cups Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- Switch On your instant pot, and set SAUTE mode.
- Add oil, whole spices and wait until they heat up.
- Add few slices of onion and add the ginger garlic paste. Saute well.
- Once the ginger garlic paste is cooked, slightly browned add the rest of the onions, tomato, green chilli, and all the cleaned chicken. Cook for a few minutes, say 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves. Saute for half a minute.
- Add the salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add the lemon juice and yogurt. Mix well.
- Add the water.
- Cancel the saute mode and close the instant pot. Secure the pressure valve and set pressure cook 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, do a quick release and add the washed basmati rice.
- Close the instant pot and set pressure cook 3-4 minutes. Basmati rice cooks real fast.
- Let the steam release naturally.
- Open the lid after venting the pressure completely and give the rice a quick mix.
- Server hot with raita
- Use any rice you have – For 1 cup rice you will need 2 cups of water in general. If using basmati rice, for 1 cup rice add only 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Adjust time for different types of rice – regular 12 minutes will work for regular rice. Basmati rice cooks fast.
- Use the same recipe for vegetables or prawn biryani.
- Follow the instant pot method and guidelines properly.
- Serve hot although the biryani will stay warm for a long time in the instant pot