A simply and delicious dish of prawns in a chunky tomato and onion spicy sauce.…
Eggplant/Brinjal Drumstick Stir Fry/Kathirikai Thokku
The beauty of Tamil cuisine is how only a handful of ingredients come together as a beautiful, delicious dish. This is one such dish – A basic stir fry of vegetables with spice powders that is very easy and simple to make.
Eggplants are sure delicious with Parmesan and tomatoes, but this South Indian favorite and simple dish elevates the taste of the humble vegetable.
The addition of the moringa fruit/pods, the drumstick is optional. If you do not have them, just use the eggplants. Any type of eggplant can be used in the dish so make use of what you can get your hands on.
Serve this dish with Rasam or Sambar rice. It is fantastic with a bowl of curd rice – the fresh yogurt mixed with steamed rice.
If you are making the simple congee, the side dish of this stir fry is the most amazing combination you could ever find.
Check out the recipe below –
Eggplant Drumstick Stir fry || Brinjal Thokku
- Iron Fry Pan – if available
- 250 Grams Eggplants/Brinjal I used the violet organic ones cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Drumstick cleaned and cut into pieces.
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- 1 Sprig Fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chilli Slit and de-seed if needed
- 1 Sprig Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt Adjust as needed
- 2 tsp Olive Oil Any cooking oil you use is fine
- 1/4 Water To cook, adjust as needed to your preferences and adjust to have a thinner or thicker dish
- In a cast iron or a regular pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds.
- Add all the cut vegetables[curry leaves, eggplant, drumstick,onions, chilli.,]. Saute well.
- Add Salt and continue with the cooking. This step is very important whenever you cook eggplant.
- Now add the turmeric and red chilli powder, mix well and add about 2 tablespoons of water. Not much – adjust as per preference.
- Continue cooking, so the raw smell of chilli is gone and the water evaporates and the oil comes out on the sides. About 3-4 minutes, on medium high flame.
- Add the chopped Coriander leaves and take it off the stove.
- Serve hot with curd rice or rasam rice. Tastes great with Congee too.
- If you do not have drumsticks/moringa fruit, skip it. Do the dish with only the eggplant – will be equally amazing.
- Adjust water as per preference – if you want to thokku to be too runny add more water.
- Serve with Rasam rice or Congee – Just yum!!
1 thought on “Eggplant/Brinjal Drumstick Stir Fry/Kathirikai Thokku”