Simple Spicy Prawn Masala || Prawn Thokku / Eral Thokku
Prawn masala or prawn thokku is a very simple south Indian dish made with prawns, onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves. Spiced with simple red chilli powder and turmeric, this dish is a delight to make and serve.
This dish so very simple to make, all you will need is cleaned[Peel and devein] prawns, onion, tomatoes, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste and the basic Indian spice powder – the red chilli powder.
And you will also need a cast iron pan for best results. But I imagine any thick bottomed pan will be equally good. We usually make this dish in the iron pan. This will help the oil added to come out beautifully on the sides giving your dish the look of a pickle, but in reality this dish is a simple masala.
Major ingredient is the Prawns – Peel them, devein them and wash them. If you have a bag of small prawns that you cannot use for grilling or barbeque or fry use those little bites in this recipe right away.
This prawn masala is a great side dish for rasam or sambar rice and even curd rice.
If you have been seeing the pictures and find the prawns looking overcooking, do not fret. They are purposefully made chewy and will taste heavenly as you chew with the chunky onion and tomato sauce.
Check out the recipe below –
Prawn Thokku || Simple Prawn Masala || Eral Thokku
- A Cast iron pan or a simple thick bottomed pan
- 3/4 Cups Cleaned Prawns Peel, devein and wash. About 100 grams.
- 2 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Large Tomato Chopped
- 2 Whole Green Chilli Do no slit or slice.
- 3-4 Sprig Fresh Coriander leaves Chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste Peeled garlic cloves and ginger ground into paste.
- 2 tbsp Oil I used Olive oil. Any vegetable oil will do.
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Salt Adjust as needed
- 1/2 Cup Water Adjust as needed
- In an iron pan or any pan heat oil.
- Add few chopped bits of onion and then the ginger garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell is gone.
- Add the rest of the onion, tomato, green chilli, coriander leaves and the prawns. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the salt and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and saute well.
- Add a little water and cook in medium flame for 5-10 minutes until the oil separate.
- The prawn thokku is ready – Serve hot with rice or dosai.
- Serve hot and reheat when needed to serve later.
- Saute well as the prawns need to cook in the spice for a bit while it is cooking.
- Garnish with extra coriander leaves.
Step by Step Pics for the recipe
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.