Ever walked down the grocery stores aisle and finding rare ingredients that later leave you…
Strawberry Ginger Galette with Cheddar crust
Berries in Chennai are available only during the winter season… I come up with all my strawberry recipes during winter. For the rest of the year, I use frozen berries. Now that we are in January, after the cookie and sugar season and the strawberries are in season I came up with this recipe of Strawberry Ginger Galette with a Cheddar cheese crust.
Sounds too good, is it not?! Actually is so very good and very easy to put together as well. The Cheddar cheese in the crust and kind of gives the sweet galette a savory touch making it all a melt in the mouth good. While you can do the galette with any regular pie crust, this cheese crust with ginger, honey and loads of juicy sweet strawberries will make a world of difference. So try this recipe and leave your comments – loads of love 🙂
Let me quickly tell you why you must make this Strawberry Ginger Galette with Cheese Crust
- The name says it all – you have strawberries, warming ginger, cheddar cheese in it.
- Cheddar Cheese in pie crust, sounds too good to not to bake, right?
- The galette is refined sugar free – Honey is the sweetener.
- Perfect if you have a gluten free flour idea, will work perfectly fine with any flour blend you like.
- Very delicious, very simple – No worries of rolling into the pie or breaking the dough into pieces. Galette is always charming no matter what shape they are in.
Had enough reasons? Check out the recipe below –
Strawberry Ginger Galette with Cheddar Cheese Crust
Cheddar Cheese Crust – Makes two 7 inch galette
- 200 gm All purpose Flour Gluten Free Flour mix will work too
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 50 Gm Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 90 Gm Cold Unsalted Butter Grated or Cubed
- 2-3 tbsp Cold water
Strawberry Ginger Filling
- 250 Gm Fresh Strawberries Cleaned, Hulled and Halved
- 1 tbsp Freshly Grated Ginger
- 3 tbsp Honey
- Ice cream or Cream
Make the Crust
- In a large mixing bowl or in a food processor bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix together well.
- Add the honey and give a quick stir.
- Add the grated cheese and the butter, rub with your fingers or pulse in the processor until crumbly.
- Add the water as needed and mix just until the pie crust come together.
- Divide into two equal halves. Form a disc with each half and wrap in a parchment paper. Chill at least 15 minutes.
- When making the galette, roll the crust between two non-stick parchment paper into an 8 inch circle about 0.5cm thick.
Make the filling
- In a small bowl add the strawberries, grated ginger and the honey. Combine well.
Assemble the galette
- Arrange the strawberry filling in the rolled crust, leaving out at least 1 inch crust margin.
- Fold the margin crust inwards closing the arranged berries like shown in the picture.
- Add a little of the strawberries and honey juice from the filling on the top of the arranged galette.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or heavy cream and the left over honey from the filling.
- Use any flour blend you have.
- Use good quality cheddar. If you do not have any, use any hard cheese. Parmesan will be amazing too.
- Do not skip the ginger. It is the most important ingredient
- Enjoy baking
Check out my Instagram profile and highlights for more pics and recipes – @Fhareena #parveenskitchen #foodblogger