“Mostly” Gluten-Free & Vegan Chocolate Banana Breakfast Galette.
Wonder what this seeing the quoted “Mostly” in the title?? Because this freestyle tart – also known as Galette is made of Rolled oats & Dates, with just a little Whole Wheatmeal.
Hence the MOSTLY Gluten-free!! 🙂
Now to the why “MOSTLY” vegan part, I have added butter in the base prep. While this can be replaced with the coconut oil or coconut butter if you have it, I have the taste of the butter. So didn’t want to make any substitution here.
So, the base of the tart is all things healthy, if you’re like me who think BUTTER is healthy. I will leave it to you to decide.
This recipe has no added sugar in it, so the sweetness for the base come from the soft Medjool dates added. And the topping is so simple, just the chocolate spread of your choice and sliced bananas. So choose the best version of the spread you can find. I used the homemade Hazelnut spread.
DO NOT USE OVERRIPE BANANAS;) You will thank me later for this. Save the overripe bananas for breads or ice cream.
Back to the tart base- I have added unsalted butter and added himalayan salt to the dough mix. So if using salted butter, cut the added salt. And make sure you add spice to the dough – which here is cinnamon.
IT goes like this – Put all the tart base ingredients in the chopper blade processor so the rolled oats gets processed instead of staying whole. Once the dough comes together, put them in between two parchment papers and roll. No chilling required. And add the toppings and bake..
The most delicious, breakfast worthy, stomach filling Galette will be ready.
Let’s jump into the recipe –
“Mostly” Gluten-Free & Vegan Chocolate Banana Breakfast Galette.Recipe by FhareenaCourse: Cakes & Bakes, Cookies, Crumble bars, Desserts, Easy recipes, Fruit Bakes, Galettes, Healthy, Quick and Easy, Super Food, Tips and Basics
- For the Tart Base
Rolled Oats – 3/4 Cup
Whole wheatmeal – 1/4 cup
Medjool Dates – 3, pitted
Cold Unsalted butter – 1/4 cup, cubed
Himalayan Salt – A large Pinch
Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
Chocolate Spread – 1 cup
Sliced Bananas – 4
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a food processor, fit the chopper blade. Add all the base ingredients and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Make a disc of the mix and roll into tart base, about 1/2cm thick. Rolling the mix in between two non-stick sheets is very easy and mess free.
- Spread the chocolate leaving an outer margin over the tart base.
- Arrange the sliced bananas on the chocolate slathered tart base.
- Now fold the margin in the tart inwards, using the non-stick paper and do the same until you’ve folded in all the sides.
- Carefully lift the tart into a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes and let it cool once done.
- Brush some honey on the tart if you like, optionally.
- Serve warm with ice cream or with Yogurt.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.