A three ingredients gluten-free, dairy free, vegan healthy snack made from milled roasted rice, jaggery…
Coconut Milk Rice/Thengai Paal Saadam
This recipe is an oldie.. Mom makes this rice delicately flavored with coconut milk and only green chilli to give some heat to the rice, it is mostly white in color.
The recipe is very similar to biryani recipe – but no spice powders and no red color.
Also instead of water, you have to cook the rice with coconut milk, hence the name. The Coconut milk rice is so delicious and we always serve the coconut milk rice with fish curry and fish fry. The combination made in heaven.
Check out my recipe for fish fry here.
Also check out my recipe for chicken fry
How to make Coconut milk rice?
Making coconut rice is simple – it’s all saute and cook the rice. Just add coconut milk in place of water.
For one cup of rice, in general you will need two cups of water. In this recipe we will replace 1 cup of water with 1 cup of coconut milk. So it will be the ratio – 1:1:1 for rice, coconut milk and water.
The preparation work is simple as well – you will need ginger garlic paste. I usually peel garlic and ginger and grind them together into a paste and store in an airtight box in fridge always. You can do the same, it will be handy during the weekdays.
And the basic Onion, tomato, green chilli, mint and coriander leaves. That is all you will need, it is so simple.
I made the recipe rice in my instant pot. You can make in pressure cooker or even in the regular pan you make the rice. It will be delicious and is a very good change from the regular plain rice.
Check the recipe below –
Coconut Milk Rice || Thengai Paal Saadam
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker or Pan you generally cook rice in.
- 1 1/2 Cups Rice Washed and drained. Regular rice about 300 grams
- 1 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk Need not be so thick.
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Medium Sized Onion Sliced
- 1 Small Tomato Half will be enough, chopped
- 3 Green Chilli Whole, not sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3-4 Sprig Fresh Mint leaves Chopped
- 3-4 Sprig Fresh Coriander leaves Chopped
- Few Pieces Whole Cinnamon Bark, cloves
- 2 tsp Oil Use any vegetable oil. I used Olive Oil
- In the cooking pot[Instant Pot, pressure cooker or any pan], heat the oil.
- Add the whole spices.
- Add a few slices of onion and the ginger garlic paste. Saute well.
- Add rest of the onion, tomato, green chilli and saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the salt, chopped mint and chopped coriander leaves. Saute well until the herbs are coated with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the washed rice and give a stir.
- Add the water and the coconut milk.
- Cook as per rice cooking instructions. For instant pot, I just set the RICE mode. For pressure cooker, you will need about 3-4 whistles. General pot cooking, cook the rice until the coconut milk and water are absorbed. Ensure to cook in low flame and prevent burnt rice at the bottom.
- Serve hot.
- Use any rice you have for this recipe. Mostly for 1 cup of rice you will need 2 cups of water. If using Basmati rice, use only 1 1/2 cups of water. It cooks faster.
- If you cannot find coconut milk, grate and grind the coconut with water and extract juice.
- IF you do not like coconut milk, simply cook with 2 parts of water for 1 part of rice. The rice will still be delicious.
- Serve hot with fish curry or With any curry you have.
- Plain coconut milk rice is also very good, a delight to eat.