Soup maker Pav Bhaji masala
Slow cooking has got its own advantages – delicious, juicy, low maintenance – as in you can put them in and continue whatever work you have been doing and get back for a comforting, yummy lunch or dinner.Chili is one such comfort food. Comforting, healthy, nutritious and so much more. In India we have a similar comfort food – the all famous Pav Bhaji.
Pav means bread and the bhaji means the gravy or curry.
This Chili recipe is a lot different than the other recipes found everywhere, with its own India twist – the all famous Pav bhaji masala. I get mine from a local gourmet store, locally sourced. There are a lot of recipes available for the same, which you can try. It is a mixture of roast and ground spice like cumin, black peppercorn, red chili, cloves, cinnamon, mace etc.,
Back to slow cooker, this recipe is not slow cooked, but can be done so.
For those who are looking to speed up and get the same benefits as slow cooking – a sauté and soup maker is a gift
This recipe is made in my soup maker, all cooked and served within 40 minutes, including the preparation time. But you can try it in a slow cooker and once cooked, blend to a consistency that you like. All is good.
Also, it is vegan, no meat. Loads of vegetables are added in a tomato base, it is too heavenly and comforting with every bite you take.
I have toasted some garlic bread in butter to go along – absolutely filling and delicious.
And yes, any combination of vegetables can be used. A good way to use up the leftover vegetables in your fridge.
This stores well in frozen too, so freeze in split containers for multiple use 🙂
Soup maker Pav Bhaji masalaCourse: Easy recipes, Indian recipes, Quick and Easy, Slow cooked, Stews
Mixed vegetables – 3 cup[Carrots, French beans, beetroot, cauliflower and green peas]
Potato – 2 large
Onions – 2[finely chopped]
Tomato – 3 finely chopped
Green or red pepper[Capsicum] – 1 chopped
Coriander leaves – a big bunch
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Butter – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Pav bhaji masala – 1 tbsp.
Lemon juiced; – 1
- Heat the oil and half of butter. Add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. Sauté well
- Add the chopped tomatoes, capsicum and half of the coriander leaves, mix well.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the salt, turmeric, chilly and Pav bhaji masala powder. Mix well.
- Add water just so the veggies are covered, to the minimum mark if cooking in the soup maker and close the lid.
- Let the veggies stew and cook in the slow cooker for an hour or about 32 minutes if doing in soup maker chunky mode.
- Once cooked, add the lemon juice, rest of the butter and blend in soup maker or use a stick blender and blend to your favorite consistency.
- Serve hot with toasted bread with lemon on side.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.
A very healthy vegan option of the normally spicy chili.