3 step sakkarai Pongal(sweet Pongal)
Happy pongal to all.. Wish you all a very prosperous pongal. Lets celebrate this Tamil traditional day with very traditional sweet pongal.
Born and brought up in Chennai, we have celebrated all the festivals celebrated in Tamilnadu. My mom is a very good cook and has been cooking for 34 years and I have picked up a little from her😍
For every pongal day, she used to make the sakkarai(lit. Sugar in tamil) pongal. Although named as sugar pongal, it is traditionally made in Jaggery. The beautiful colour that comes from the jaggery is a sight you will hold on to always and the taste of this pongal will linger in your mouth for a long time.
Making pongal is very easy, although traditionally made differently my 3 step cooking is much simpler and equally delicious.
Only with a handful of ingredients and 3 steps of preparation method, the sakkarai pongal is one of the easiest festival dish.
You will need a pressure cooker or a slow cooker though if you are following this recipe.
- Raw rice – 3/4 cup
- Moong dal/split green lentils – 1/4 cup
- Melted jaggery(jaggery with some water in microwave) – 1 1/2 cups
- Ghee – 3 tbsp.
- Cashew nuts – 1/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pod – 4-5 nos
Preparation method –
- In a pressure cooker, cook the washed rice and lentils and a teaspoon of ghee with 3 cups of water until soft.
- Add the jaggery when you can open the pan and cook again for a whistle. Switch off and wait till the steam is out.
- In a separate pan, heat the ghee in low flame, add the cashew nuts , grated coconut and cardamom pods till golden. Add the pongal from the pressure cooker pan.
Serve hot,, the sakkarai pongal.. Happy pongal again😍