Saffron Pistachios Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread is the simplest of the cookies. Very easy to make, if you forgive the chilling hour of the dough. Variety of flavor combinations possible – Orange zest & white chocolate chunks, lemon zest and chia seeds, Chocolate chips and walnuts etc.,
The ingredients for the base are very simple – sugar, butter and flour.
But the variations as I mentioned are numerous. In my version it is Saffron and pistachios slices.
And the ratio is simple too.. 1:2:3
1 part of sugar, 2 parts of butter and 3 parts of flour.
It is like you start with half a cup of sugar, double it and add 1 cup of butter and double it, add 2 cups of flour. Simple…
Another thing, shortbread cookies need to be a bit on the thicker side, so when you slice them carefully slice in one go. NO Sawing through the dough 🙂
Saffron Pistachios Shortbread CookiesRecipe by FhareenaCourse: Cookies, Desserts, Easy recipes, Quick and Easy
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 1 cup
Flour – 2 cups
Flavor and addition as you love- I added some pure saffron
extract and half a cup of sliced pistachios.
Chocolate to dip
Extra pistachios slices to sprinkle.
- In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter.
- Once fluffy, add the flour and mix well.
- Add saffron and pistachios and mix well.
- Once mixed, divide the mixture in half. In a clingy wrap make the dough portion into a log, and cover tightly. Repeat for the other half.
- Chill the logs.
- When you are ready to bake, pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius
- Take out the chilled dough logs, unwrap and using a sharp knife slice the cookies, about 3/4 cm. Do no saw, just a slice should work in cutting the cookies.
- Arrange in a lined tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until the edges start turning into golden brown.
- Let them cool in the tray out of the oven.
- Dip or spread melted chocolate if you like and serve.
Check out my Instagram profile @Fhareena for more recipes and photos.