Easiest snack, breakfast or dessert if you want to take it to next level and add your own toppings. Biscuits or shortcakes take just about 30 minutes to prepare and the result will be so satisfying, you will feel so good about yourself of the accomplishment of making these super delicious biscuits.
Yes, get on to the recipe without further stories from me and enjoy.
Recipe – Makes 12
Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- 5 Cups of hulled and cut strawberries
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Start with the strawberries: Stir the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar together in a large bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use. This time allows the strawberries to get macerated and be sweetly juicy.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor. Whisk or pulse until combined. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients by pulsing several times in the processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- Pour buttermilk on top. Stir everything together until just about combined– do not overwork the dough. The dough will look like shreds and be very crumbly. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and gently mold it together in a ball using your hands. Gently flatten until it is evenly 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch circles. Re-roll any scraps.
- Arrange on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with 2 Tablespoons heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before assembling.
- Make the whipped cream: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Slice the biscuits in half and layer with strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately.