One of the common breakfast items in South India, especially in Tamilnadu Masal vadai is a vegetarian fried dish made of Lentils. It is protein packed, and healthy, keep you full and generally served with Idli/Dosa and sambar.
We at our home make these little falafels of the south for breakfast, not generally with Idli but with savory porridge, or as little bites to have with toast and fruits. And I make them every week just because, they are simple to make.
In fact, just three steps with simple ingredients, and achieve greater results
You will need Split chickpeas for this recipe. Not cooked chickpeas like the ones used in the falafel recipes. Raw split chickpeas soaked in water, ground with simple spices and fried.
Sounds easy? Well, they really are easy if you plan ahead, takes less than 15 minutes, except for soaking the lentils.
- Split Chickpeas – 1 cup, Soaked at least for an hour
- Dry red chillies – 2 numbers[more or less as per your taste]
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Large Onion – 1 chopped
- Coriander leaves – a handful, chopped.
- Salt for taste
- Oil to fry
Three steps 🙂 Grind – Mix – Fry
- Grind coarsely the first three ingredients.
- Mix the onion, coriander and salt.
- Make small balls of the lentils mix, slightly flattened using your palm or on a parchment paper and fry them in hot oil carefully until golden brown.
Alternatively, you can fry in your airfryer, lesser oil usage, hot oil alert is not needed.
Done anyways, these little lentil nuggets are so simple to make. Try them.