There is no back story for why I’m sharing this recipe today. Just that I was in a mood to make some fruity dessert and what better way to use up that jam lying in the fridge to provide all the sugar you need in it than this?!
Basically, crumble bars for me should be minimally sweet, not too sweet and the filling must be the one supplying the sweet. The crumble should be buttery, as should the base itself making the bars super soft and crumbly with a fruity flavor coming through each bite. Can we all agree on that?
Blueberry Crumble Bars
Right then, let’s talk about the buttery base[crust] and the crumble topping. Instead of using flour fully, I have used rolled oats to make it a tad healthier than these bars normally would be. But then you can use any flour you want. Almond meal will work perfectly too.
And these bars are not vegan, my bottom crust has an egg to hold together the buttery base and this will let you slice through the bars without ruining the shape too much.
There are a variety of combinations possible in these – so please try out all the ideas that are running in your mind.
Let’s get in to the baking now –
Crust – Bottom
1. All purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
2. Rolled Oats – 1 cup
3. Cold unsalted butter – cut in cubes – 1 cup
4. Egg – 1
5. Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
6. Salt – a teaspoon
7. Sugar – 1 tablespoon
1. Blueberry Jam – 1 Cup
1. Rolled Oats – 1/2 cup
2. All Purpose Flour – 1/4 cup
3. Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon
4. Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup
5. Brown Sugar – 1 tablespoon
6. Salt – a large pinch
1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until they come together in a ball.
2. Spread the crust dough in a prepared square tin and bake in a preheated oven of 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes
3. Once of the oven, spread the jam of your choice.
4. Now again, blitz the crumble mixture in the processor and spread them[Sprinkle!!] evenly on top of the jam.
5. Put the tin back in the oven, bake for about 30 – 35 minutes.
6. Let them cool before you slice in squares.
A perfect Snack for tea is ready.