Long melon or bottle gourd, Soraikai in Tamil is one of the healthiest of the fruits used like a vegetable though in our cuisines. The water content present in it is so healthy when consumed is said to work in eliminating the bad fluids from our bodies. Well, true or not these make for very good stews and curries.
This recipe today is one such stew, a prawn bottle gourd stew. Very simple to make, and a hearty comfort food. I serve this with steamed rice and papad. But it is very delicious with bread as well..
The prawns I have used are smaller ones, peeled and deveined. The larger ones are always for grilling🤗 and using smaller ones is an advantage. You can just eat your stew from your bowl, a spoonful at a time. No struggling to cut the big chunks of prawns.
The recipe contains very less spice, all the flavor of the gourd and the prawns stewed together with the basic salt, turmeric, chilly and coriander powder and finally some coconut milk is what will make you to think of this whenever you think of comfort food.
The ingredients list is as below –
- Bottle gourd or long melon, peeled and cut – 2cups
- Prawns 1/2 cup – peeled, deveined and marinated in salt &turmeric powder
- Sliced Onions – 2
- Chopped tomatoes – 1
- Green chilly – 1(don’t slice or cut)
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Salt – for taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
- Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1tsp
- Oil – 2tsp
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add few slices of onion and the ginger garlic paste. Sauté well.
- Add the prawns and mix well for a minute.
- Add the rest of the onions, tomatoes, chilly, bottle gourd pieces and half of the coriander all at once in the pot and mix well.
- Add salt, turmeric, chilly powder and coriander powder. Mix well and add water just enough for the contents in the pot are immersed.
- Let it cook without a lid for five minutes in high flame.
- Simmer the flame, and close the pan with a wooden spoon inside to let the steam out. Let the curry STEW and you relax.
- After ten minutes, add the coconut milk and mix.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves on top. Your stew is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with rice or breads.