Shortbread is the simplest of the cookies. Very easy to make, if you forgive the chilling hour of the dough. Variety of flavor combinations possible – Orange zest & white chocolate chunks, lemon zest and chia seeds, Chocolate chips and walnuts etc.,
The ingredients for the base are very simple – sugar, butter and flour.
But the variations as I mentioned are numerous. In my version it is Saffron and pistachios slices.
And the ratio is simple too.. 1:2:3
1 part of sugar, 2 parts of butter and 3 parts of flour.
It is like you start with half a cup of sugar, double it and add 1 cup of butter and double it, add 2 cups of flour. Simple…
Another thing, shortbread cookies need to be a bit on the thicker side, so when you slice them carefully slice in one go. NO Sawing through the dough 🙂
Ingredients – Makes about 24 cookies
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 1 cup
Flour – 2 cups
Flavor and addition as you love- I added some pure saffron extract and half a cup of sliced pistachios.
Chocolate to dip
Extra pistachios slices to sprinkle.
Method to do –
1. In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter.
2. Once fluffy, add the flour and mix well.
3. Add saffron and pistachios and mix well.
4. Once mixed, divide the mixture in half. In a clingy wrap make the dough portion into a log, and cover tightly. Repeat for the other half.
5.Chill the logs.
6. When you are ready to bake, pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
7. Take out the chilled dough logs, unwrap and using a sharp knife slice the cookies, about 3/4 cm. Do no saw, just a slice should work in cutting the cookies
8. Arrange in a lined tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until the edges start turning into golden brown.
9. Let them cool in the tray out of the oven.
10. Dip or spread melted chocolate if you like and serve.
Chocolate dipped Saffron Pistachios Shortbread cookies.