I have been cooking and baking for more than 6 years, have shared a variety of desserts and savory bakes with friends, colleagues and family. All these years, so much food made and shared, no one has ever asked me what is my favorite thing to bake or cook.
But yesterday, I was asked this question by one of my best friends while at lunch break. “What is the thing which I always love to add in my cook or bake?!!”
I was astonished for a few seconds, for me it was ONE question I have never been asked. But, boy did I have the answer. I took no lesser than a minute and opened my non-stop tirade of what I like to make and bake[Fruit bakes are my favorite things to do]. My friend was patient enough to listen,nod as and when required. By the way, this is the friend, who gave me this site as my birthday gift 🙂
I don’t know if I have thanked the friend enough in words, but I always attempt to bring in a share of whatever I make in the day and take it to the office to share.
My Apple Pumpkin Walnut Crumble Bars recipe is one recipe that I built in my mind[Super powerful, huh??] while I was sharing the coffee cake that I made yesterday and took shape when I was speaking to my friend who happens to like mildly sweetened desserts with no cream or fancy works and someone like a man who tries to eat healthy.
So this recipe is my way of thanking my friend, for being supportive and so very caring that sometimes he has to put up with me getting overexcited talking randomly about cooking, kitchenware and all. THANK YOU!
So now, about the recipe – It is as healthy as I can make it with the goodness of whole wheatmeal, rolled oats, wood pressed coconut oil, walnuts, homemade pumpkin puree and apples. The recipe has three parts – the base, fruity gooey filling and the crumble top.
Ingredients – Makes 12 slices
- Wheat flour – 1 Cup
- Coconut oil – 1/2 cup
- Rolled oats – 1/2 cup
- Brown Sugar – 2tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Ground Cinnamon – 1tsp
- Pumpkin Puree – 1 cup[I used my homemade version – Peel and deseeded pumpkin cubes, microwaved in a closed[With holes to let the steam escape] microwave safe bowl for 3 minutes with a sprinkle of cinnamon and mashed with a fork. No more store bought pumpkin puree.. YAY!!]
- Apples – peeled, cored and sliced[I used food processor with a slicing disk] – 4 large
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Brown Sugar – 2tbsp
- Wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – A pinch
- Rolled oats – 1 cup
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Brown Sugar – 4tsp
- Butter or Cold Coconut oil – 50gms
Steps to make these amazing bars
- Preheat the oven – 180 C
- Base – Put all the ingredients in a food processor bowl, and blitz till you see a sticky pastry base form. Spread it in a lined tin and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- While the base is cooking, prepare the filling. Add the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a pan and saute till you the apples starts to get soft, for about 2 minutes. You don’t have do this if you want a crunchy version. Once the apples are done to your preference take it off heat, add in the pumpkin puree and mix it well and keep it aside.
- Once the base is done cooking, take it out of the oven and spread the apple pumpkin mixture right on the top and spread well.
- Prepare the crumble by adding all the ingredients in a food processor bowl and blitz till you see the crumble texture forms.
- Spread the crumble on top of the fruit mixture spread over the base.
- Put the baking tin back in the oven, and bake at 180 C for 45-50 minutes.
- Once baked, cool it in the tin, and slice while they are warm. Spoon in caramel if you like[I made a homemade caramel] on top and let it cool to store for later. Or serve with vanilla ice cream while still warm.
Base – Gallery
Filling – Gallery